Michigan Career and Technical Institute - Lake 2




The W.K. Kellogg Camp for disadvantaged and disabled children was established on 32 acre site on Pine Lake.




The property became a Coast Guard Training site during World War II.




The camp and its facilities were leased to the State of Michigan during the summer of 1944, for the purpose of physical and vocational rehabilitation of veterans and other citizens of Michigan.




School operation was transferred to Western Michigan College of Education.




The W.K. Kellogg Foundation deeded the property to the State of Michigan on condition that it would always be used for “educational and recreational purposes which would promote the health, education and welfare of mankind and for no other purposes...”




Public Acts of 1952 provided for the establishment of the Michigan Veteran's Vocational School at Pine Lake as a state institution under the State Board of Education.




House Bill 167 was signed by Governor G. Mennen Williams, which continued control of the facility under the State Board of Education and changed its name to the Michigan Rehabilitation Institute.




350-bed dormitory constructed/dedicated.




State reorganization plan placed the school under the direction of Vocational Rehabilitation Services.




December 14, 1967 first STIRC graduation ceremony.




House Bill 2993 was signed by Governor Romney changing the facilities name to the State Technical Institute and Rehabilitation Center (STIRC).




Administrative and Training complex completed at a cost of $1,800,000.




First female student enrolled in STIRC.




A large new health, physical therapy, recreation building and a new outdoor recreation area was dedicated.   W.K. donated funding for Library materials




The IBM Corp. initiated a computer programming training project for severely handicapped persons with the cooperation of the West Michigan Data Processing Industry.


1979 - present






In 1979, State Tech was surveyed by the Commission of Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities and awarded accreditation.  The surveyors indicated they were very impressed with State Tech.


Reaccredited by CARF in 1981, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011





The Pine Lake Fund, a 501(c)(3) non profit organization was established to explore and develop new programs, and promote the placement of persons with disabilities attending State Technical Institute (now MCTI).


The student run restaurant – The Pine Cove – opened on January 13th.




Transfer from Department of Education to Michigan Jobs Commission. 


Awarded Accreditation Candidacy Status by North Central Association thus allowing State Tech to receive Pell Grant monies.




State Technical Institute becomes Michigan Career and Technical Institute (MCTI).


Pine Lake Fund purchases land to be used for family housing for MCTI with a grant from the WK Kellogg Foundation.


Accreditation Candidacy Status renewed by North Central Association.




IBM Corp awarded Michigan Career and Technical Institute $200,000 in equipment, at an event attended by Governor John Engler, to establish the Open Door Learning and Employment Network.




Groundbreaking ceremony for Pine Lake Family Center (family housing) attended by Governor John Engler.




MCTI now under Michigan Department of Career Development.


Ribbon cutting ceremony for Pine Lake Family Center providing housing and daycare for students with families attending Michigan Career and Technical Institute.


MCTI awarded full accreditation status by North Central Association.  Reaccredited in 2005, 2011.




MCTI student dormitories and cafeteria refurbished and made smoke-free.


MCTI now under the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth.

The Eagle Shack, the student run store, opened.




MCTI celebrates 60th Anniversary with construction of Founder’s Museum and Pavilion, named the Kellogg-Chapman House, by Pine Lake Fund, initiated with grant funding from W.K. Kellogg Foundation.


Governor Granholm visits in support of  Invest in Ability Month


MCTI , with funding provided by the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, opened at 11457 Shoemaker,  Suite 1003, Detroit Mi.   MCTI East offers a Career Readiness Center and a Certified Nursing Assistant programming.


MCTI now under the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARS)

Current Vocational Trade Programs (14):  Automotive Technology, Building Services Technology (Weatherization), Cabinetmaking/Millwork, Certified Nursing Assistant, Culinary Arts, Custodial, Customer Service, Electronics, Graphic Communications (Printing), Grounds Maintenance and Landscaping, Machine Technology, Office Automation, Pharmacy Services (Technician), Retail Marketing


Site Map